Re: Fall / rain gardens, etc.
  • Subject: Re: Fall / rain gardens, etc.
  • From: TeichFauna@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:39:18 EDT

I use rain barrels to store rain water from the gutters.  They don't  take
up much room, easy to use.  They have quite a few that can be  purchased
that are really easy to use and aesthetically pleasing.  Back  when we started,
we tried Rubbermaid trashcans, which were short lived.   Thick plastic
barrels are available though, if you are lucky to know where to  look, that make
excellent rain barrels, pond filters, etc. and are very  reasonable.
Expense is in the bulk head fittings if you want to add a  spigot or such.  We
just let the rain from the gutter fall into the barrel,  and dip the watercan
in it....no fancy fittings.
I use the rainwater on my orchids and bromeliads during dry times.  I  also
grow Anacharis for my turtles in my rain barrel, and have a few native
mosquito fish (Gambusia sp.) to eat mosquito larvae.  Dragonflies and  tree
frogs absolutely LOVE to lay their eggs in it, so it's a great breeding  place
for these lovely mosquito eaters as well.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast