Re: help with cultural methods
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: help with cultural methods
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 11:26:17 -0700

The fact that they came apart easily says they were recently put together--undoubtedly to bring a higher price.

We sent them back for three of reasons basically: One, we wanted, expected, and contracted to pay for 3-gallon plants, not hastily repotted 1-gallon plants. Two, container-plant growers' losses are inversely related to plant age; by taking younger plants, we would also be assuming a higher rate of risk and failure. Three, we advertised the nursery as selling only plants that met the "Florida Number 1" standard or higher, which these would not meet in caliper or height.

I think you did the right thing by growing two of them on. With care they will become nice by spring.