Flower show time
  • Subject: Flower show time
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:47:20 EDT

Today it looks as if virtue was really its own reward.  Since the weather
has been so wretched here this summer with both extreme heat and
extreme drought, the young chairman of the District Flower Show was
really distressed that there might not be enough horticulture to make
a good showing.  So, being a good scout, I combed my miserable
garden for everything I thought would make an entry.  Today when the
show closed and I picked up my awards... out of  19 entries I had
eleven firsts, six seconds, one third, and one that didn't get anything.
Three of the six seconds were in classes where I was competing
with myself and had already taken the blue, and two of those were
marked 90+ which indicates that they were blue ribbon quality.
But here's the real kicker.  Perilla frutescens is a weed in my
garden, but I think it's handsome and let it grow if I don't need the
space for something else.  In my effort to fill classes, I picked a fine
specimen of Perilla, and guess what!  They gave it a big orange
Award of Merit ribbon!  I guess those judges weed their gardens better
than I do.
Forgive me for boasting, but I thought you guys would enjoy that last.