bottom heat

I start lots of seeds each winter and sow them into the plastic containers from salad bars.  I do not punch holes into them, I just watch how much I water them initially.  I place them on top of several magazines on top of my radiators.  The magazines keep the containers from getting too hot, but the bottom heat gives the seeds the boost they need.

Plastic cake containers turned upside down hold individual small pots or as a propagator for taller cuttings.  I have used old aquariums for propagators as well.

Ginny (in zone 6, PA)