Re: zoysia

At 12:28 AM 4/3/00 EDT, you wrote:
 >yes, zoysia is a wonderful winter dormant turf grass.
>it can be sprigged or sodded.
>there are a couple different varieties.
>i believ 'meyers' is tough on feet, but very beautiful.
>i grew it as a very high maintenance lawn for a doctor client.
>it required a special reel type mower to keep it at 1 1/2" .

High maintenance? Nah...At least not for those of us who don't require
perfection in a lawn.  I've had zoysia for 30 years and love it.
Unfortunately, when it was put in, our 1/2 ac. lot was mostly sun. Now
there is less and less sun which zoysia requires to do its best.

It is a warm season grass, though. It will brown out at the first hint of
frost and greens up late (relative to cooler turf grasses). I mow mine very
close after it goes dormant; some people in the area burn it to minimize
thatch and disease. It is very drought tolerant and stays green here even
when other lawns look awful. Grows slowly, frequires much less frequent
mowing during the growing season. It can be a pain in the butt to mow with
a power mower, since it is so-o-o thick. When grown in full sun it is
completely weed free. And walking barefoot on a mature turf is like walking
on a cloud. When we first moved in the house we were told that one really
needed a reel-type mower to keep it at its best. Probably true, but
again...that perfection thing.

Gerry