RE: weekend disaster.. need advice on Voles

I use the basket approach with success - using 1/2" hardware cloth.  You
can get this wire from Lowe's or Home Depot in rolls.  I cut the screen
into pieces about 8" wide by 24" long, and put them in when planting.  I
have not seen any evidence of voles getting across the 1" screen that is
above ground.

Some people also use sharp pieces of granite chips in the soil mix when
planting - voles don't like to bump the sharp points with tender noses.

Both of these methods, however, require digging the plant up and
replanting.  Planting in the screens can be troublesome if the plant is
leafed out and has any real size - confining and there will always be sharp
points.

Dan
North Alabama