Dry/wet cycles help pitcher plants catch more prey

RSS story archive

How many ways can you kill a hosta?

Here is a different subject matter!  I have a stituation in  production
field.  There are excess hosta that are 4 years old.  I need to plant our
next crops of hosta and daylilies into this area.  Normally I would fumigate
with methyl bromide and they would be gone.  With methyl bromide being
phased out by the international community I need to find a way to kill hosta
so I can plant more.  (Ironic!!).  From my experience hosta can be difficult
to kill.  Roundup seems to only make them sick.  Disking or plowing seems to
spread them out but not kill them.  Digging them all out is a lot of work
and then the clumps need to be "disposed".  I have carryover concerns with
the use of certain "kill all" herbicides. Does any body know the most
efficient way to kill a hosta.

Best Regards,
Holland, MI