Re: Pileated Woodpeckers

Denise, Gail, Hank and Bobbie:

I'm sure the ones in the 100+year old oak in the yard are carpenter
ants--that's probably what drew the woodpeckers in the first place.  Had
noticed distortion on one of the branches a couple of years ago, but
didn't pay it much mind (we are on 2 acres with lots of trees, but only
three this large).  Last year, first noticed the woodpeckers working on
that branch and several others, read about them in a couple of my bird
books, and was able to determine that the distortion of the branch was
from the tree healing itself after the woodpeckers made their large
holes to eat the ants.

Last spring, a few large ants came in the kitchen (I assumed they were
the carpenter ants from the tree)--lots of tiny ants, which were easier
to deal with--this year there are a lot.  The baits cut down on them
drastically, but there are still some coming in, and as I said, was
worried about the woodpeckers.

Guess I'd better call Terminix?  Can't even stand to think about
eliminating that tree; it is a magnificent one, the largest in the yard.
I'll try the 20 Mule Team Borax in the house, too.  Hank, you mentioned
dealing with them--do you have any other ideas for doing it?

Now I'm REALLY getting worried!

Thanks for your input.  Betsy