Re: Pileated Woodpeckers

> AtI've had first-hand experience with carpenter ants in the carriage house of
> my old 1845 home and I can tell you for certain that they are black, not
> brown,
> and are quite large (the workers).  The do have a sweet tooth and I used a
> home-made mix of say a teaspoon of borax to two cups granulated sugar or
> Karo syrup finely mixed and they seemed to feed on it steadily and die.  I
> also
> used Taro and they were certainly reduced significantly, indicating that a
> long term project might be effective.  I haven't torn into the area above the
> roof, where I first spotted them, to check if they are eliminated, so can't
> say it is totally effective.  I'm sure exterminators will give you another
> story,
> and they may be right, but I am skeptical of their motives.  Good luck.

Darrel -  I'll try that, along with what my husband is going to do.  We
both are a bit skeptical of the professionals, as well, but know that
sometimes you HAVE to go to them.  These ants are in two slightly
different sizes--I'm sure the workers are the ones almost 1/2 inch
long.  The ant baits they are supposed to take back to their nest did
seem to cut down on them, so I guess I'll repeat those, too.  Didn't
seem to affect the woodpeckers, which was a BIG worry to me, but maybe
the woodpeckers are eating from our feeder now (other types have before
but NEVER the Pileateds) because we have eliminated a lot of the
carpenter ants, which are a staple for them.  It's very hard to guess
what the "ripple effect" will be.  HATE poisons, and the Borax seems to
be a lesser evil, but will use both because of the high stakes!

Thanks again, everyone, Betsy