.. If nothing else, this
should be an excellent laboratory for observing which hostas can endure
these wild swings with minimal damage.

The only thing hurt here in the first freeze was plantaginea varieties.  I
have plants that are near two feet high that look good at present.  Will try
to pay attention to what happens on this round.  We can not depend on water
for protection since the area is so large that it takes the system over 4
hours to cycle through.  That would be just about right for ice to build with
each round.

Our lake also affects the situation.  The lake water is much warmer than the
air.  A cloud of fog rises, the North wind blows it to the garden where it
can freeze on plants.  Tonight the wind maybe strong to just keep it moving