wire baskets for my hosta

Any suggestions on the size of wire we should use?  My husband is worried
we'd choke the plants dispite how big
I was going to make them.   How big can the holes be in the screen used for
the baskets before the Mice squeeze in.  We figured 1/2 chicken wire is too
big....  Thanks for the suggestions to date!  We have formed the Battle
lines and will not rest until the War is won.... Its us versus the Voles..
They may have won the winter battle but I've just begun to fight!

Kate