Re: The "uglies?"

In a message dated 04/09/2000 5:46:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
AmberWaveG@aol.com writes:

 <<  However, if it is
  virused, the best thing you can do is discard all the plants that show
  the virus traits and BURN them to prevent the spread of the virus. >>
 Hi Joe
 I had a few of these plants on the hill and as Mike said I thought that the
 way they looked was due to our late hard freeze hitting them as they were
 just starting to unfurl. I couldn't stand the way they looked so I potted
 them up and put them to the side, I will take your advise.
 Thanks Gary >>

I have had this problem in the past with plants left out exposed in pots over
the winter, the second flush of leaves usually are fine and by next year they
are as good as new. I had this happen last year to a few large clumps of
longifolia I had left on the ground over winter-never found the time to pot
them up, each clump had 50-100 eyes. The first set of leaves were  short and
twisted with rough textures, after cutting the clumps up and potting them up
and cutting off the foliage the next set of leaves were perfect but mixed in
were a few "bad" ones at the edges. By the third flush of leaves every thing
was back to normal.

It is a form of winter injury, I would hazard a guess that it is due to
tissue desiccation in winter.