Subject: fascination variegation
Author:  hosta-open@mallorn.com (owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com) at HERCULES
Date:    04/22/2000 10:05 AM

Hosta-Open sure seems to be quiet lately.  I guess everyone must be out in
their gardens working.  Hostas in the greenhouse have been coming up for
awhile now and there is one hosta that is sheading some light on
variegation for me.

Several years ago I divided Fascination.  I got a whole lot of cream
centered plants of no landscape value, although I kept one or two for
research purposes, and an all green form.  The all green form, which I call
Green Fascination, is vigorous and makes a nice landscape plant. I've been
propagating the all green form as part of my variegation study and now I
have a plant emerging from the all green form that is showing streaked
variegation, although, at this time, not as strong as in Fascination, but
its only the first leaf.

While there is some possibility that some hostas are variegated due to
mutated chloroplasts, I'm more inclined to think that transposible elements
are more likely responsible for hosta variegation.  The fact that a
variegated hosta that turns to a solid color and then back to a variegated
form would appear to lend support to the transposible element theory.  I
have an all green form of Gold Standard, an all pale green form of Golden
Tiara, an all blue/green form of Great Expectations and I might have an all
green form of Paul's Glory.  Now, if I can get back variegated froms from
these all solid colored sports from variegated hostas, then I would think
that would give even more credence to the transposible element theory.  Any

Joe Halinar