Re: need advice..plant sales/exchange

Hello Barbara,

Great great way to peak interest, and get people involved in the club,
and get more new members also, by advertising a little bit and having some
handouts at the exchange/sale.

The sale part works this way:

Many members and individuals have many plants that they split up each year,
and often times don't know who to give them to, or trade with, sometimes they
are plants that they don't know the name or  something like that, and they
really are not interested in getting anything back for it, or they do know
what they are (variety etc) but still don't want to get anything back for them.
They simply donate them to a 'fund raising table', you can also ask your locate
Nurseries, Garden Centers if they wish to contribute (with a business card
attached of course).  Explain to the Business Sponsors that all the people who
will be coming to the sale probably shop at their business, they usually give
something... can be a bloom bag, or pot, or garden tool, hat, or plant material.
These are price tagged and sold to whoever wants to buy them.  Make sure
that the
plant material has a reasonable price on it... but don't devalue it either.

The Exchange part works this way:

For every plant that a person brings in they get a ticket.  They can then go
around
to the different tables, be they Hosta, or DayLily.. or Iris, or Lily, or
Heuchera,
whatever you kind of plant you are exchanging and 1 ticket gets 1 new plant
material,
make sure someone is at each table collecting tickets.

Now keep in mind that lots of people want to
grow Hosta, or Daylily, or Iris or Lily etc, but are not really sure how to
do it.
Have club members there to answer questions, have handout material on how to
plant and
care for each plant... and above all have Membership applications there and
someone
to take their money.  Have your yearly agenda there with speaker topics and
speakers etc
if you have one...  the idea here is to get people some inexpensive plant
material that
they don't already have... and to raise awareness of your Society and maybe
get more
members.

Get the entire membership involved... maybe have a coffee table with members
around it
to answer questions and selling membership in the society.. be sutle though
okay people
don't like to be pressured but they do like to know the benefits of joining
something.

You could even  fertilizer for sale, Slug bait, or receipes for keeping slugs
under control.  There is no end to what you can have for sale... so long as
it is reasonably
priced it will sell... and you will raise money for your club.  Try to make
sure that the
Exchange area is larger than the Sale area okay... otherwise people might
think that they
have been tricked... if it happens that the exchange area looks to small ...
you can
always more some of the donated sale plants over there.. and then if there
are extras
later... you can sell them... really cheap.

But, most of all don't be discouraged if it is not the HUGH success the
first year,
keep doing each year, and then people will come to expect it and look for it
each year..
and it will just get bigger.

The last thing that I have to say is... Have fun, enjoy the time, the
company, the talk
about Hostas and gardening... and don't let anyone discourage you from doing
it... its a
blast... there is one here every year at the Conservatory... on Mother's
Day... and everyone
looks forward to it.. there are plants there from 1.00 to 100.00 but
everything get sold,
the Friends of the Conservatory get new membership... the club get revenue,
the public
gets good value... everyone wins... So enjoy.

I wish you all the best on this project.  I hope that you achieve all your
goals and
have lots of fun doing.

Best Regards
Jennifer
Manitoba, Canada (where we have Lilies coming up already... but no sign of
'Big Daddy' yet)