Re: Hosta Seeds

In a message dated 3/31/01 22:30:27 Eastern Daylight Time,
samk52@earthlink.net writes:

<< Some were black, some brown, some had a white or light cream colored spot
and some were white or light cream with the seed part being dark.  There were
even a few solid white.  >>
Good morning, Sharon:

IMHO let's start to answer your question from the easy to the hard: the size,
shape, and length are not predictors as to the size, shape, or length of the
hosta that will germinate and grow.  That's one of the truly neat things
about the unstable non Mendelian genetics of breeding hosta.

Totally white seeds have a very high probability on not germinating. With a
black/brown hard seed and a clear "wing" some might germinate.  The opaque
brown and black seed wings with a hard tactile seed at the end are mature
seeds.  These are supposed to germinate under favorable soil, water,
temperature conditions.  These seeds should germinate.

Please note the "should" germinate.  The seeds need to be viable and have
favorable conditions.  I had two seed trays that I planted opaque brown and
black seed wings with a hard tactile seed head.  These seeds were all from
expensive streaked seed parents.  Nothing germinated.  These trays were
treated the same as my other 12+ trays that did germinate.  Sometimes it was
not to be...

Green eggs & Ham, Sam I am...Hostally,

Rich Horowitz
Stoughton MA