Re: First Blooms--Small Trees

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2001 10:40 PM
Subject: First Blooms--Small Trees
I agree with you on Cornus Mas ( Cornelian Cherry)  The "standard" one is a superior little tree.  There are also some very nice selections.  There is a Chunese selection , we are selling, thet has peeling redish bark.  It is other wise the same.  Also there is a festigate from, ( we also sell) it is very narrow, and swell for a small yard.  I am surprised about Cornus Kusa.  We have been able to establish it in so many areas up here that simply are to cold for the American Dogwood.  Another small tree. that is one of my personal favorites, and way under  used, is the Viburnum Prunifolium.  (Cherry Viburnum)  Imakes a 10 to 12 foot tree.  Has a moderate weeping form, and foliage that is intensley green and glossy.  It has creased bloom masses, that are a light sulpher color, and later in the season has clusters of purple and red "cherries" they are not messy, but very showy.  Actually the birds seem to like them, and toward the end of the season , take them all.  It has fall colors, that are deep reds purples and bronzes.  It also transplants easly.  All you have to do is find some one who has any to sell.  Worth the look, but not easy to find

Cornus mas is now in bloom in our z5 garden---Indianapolis. I really like
this tree,
What other early blooming trees, shrubs do you all rec? I have tried Cornus
kousa here---to no avail---I guess it is too cold here.

Clyde Crockett z5  Indy IN