Re: First Blooms--Small Trees

clyde et al,
one of my "new" faves, aside from the 80 or so cultivars of jap maples is the
cornus 'mid winter fire'  it's a stunner, resembling a.j. 'sango kaku.  new
and old growth may vary from bright yellow/gold, thru orange, and into hot
pink and red.  although a sericea selection, it doesnt show any of the fungal
problems associated with sericeas.  i've grown this one for 3 years without
any fungal signs, ie. leaf spotting or black twig dieback.  this is the first
time i've found gallon size ones in 3 years.  sold a ton in piqua.
too bad about the kousas too, i have several new ones, mainly variegated leaf
forms, and weeping shapes.  outstanding in containers.  'gold star', 'long
island variegated', 'snow boy', and 'wolf eye' are some of the new stunners,
along with 'lustgarden weeping', and 'weaver's weeping',
you'll see them at our tables in raleigh, or buffalo, or?????

a couple maples to set things off are 'bonfire', 'wilsons' pink dwarf', 'beni
maiko', 'suminagashi', 'aoki',  and woof, it goes on and on.
btw, i have perhaps 10,000 red deeply cut jap maple seedlings this year, from
several old prolific "mama" trees, and thousands of greens too.  come and
bring a trowel and some pots.
stewartias are leafing now, and their bright unfurling leavs are as brilliant
as flowers, and the exfoliating bark makes them a double love.
dwarf weeping redbud is a screamer in a medium size container also, as is the
chinese form of redbud.
my crabapples are about done,  but the dwarf weepers performed wonderfully
this year.  now they contribute to the "atlanta snowfall"
yo shi no were wonderful this year, and the kwan zan is now poised to fill
their vacated bloom time.
kurume azaleas are starting here nawuth of the chattahoochie, zone 7a, and
the sassafrasses are about done.   love those little "furry" yellow blooms,
and the fall colors too.
amalanchiers have begun to bloom also.  wonderful trees.
my garden survived the freeze that hit many of the north ga gardens last
week.
thank God.
hostas are all fine also.  chinese sunrise is the hit of my garden this time
of year.
so bold, so unfearing, loose and spilling over its area.
ohh, and iris japonica has 3 bloom spikes and is showing color.  a single
plant installed last spring has spread a total of 7 lineal feet.  woof.
goOOod weed.
our "famous" cornus floridas are just on the verge of mass bloom in the
northern suburbs, whites and pinks and reds.
80 degrees by thursday tho, yuck.

reporting from nawuth jawuhja, 7a
harry

 Harry Abel
 we do not create the beauty, we only point out the beauty God has created
        hand carved stone water basins            traditional bamboo water
garden accessories
        japanese maples         dwarf bamboos                hosta bonsai
http://www.shinkigen.com
      shishi@aol.com
770-434-9955
salm 150