Re: Some assistance, please

ShayDguy@aol.com wrote:
Build a nice arbor, yet not TOO nice because someday you may want to take it down.  Put shade cloth over it.  Plant trees that you will enjoy watching grow on the back side of the arbor.

It's demoralizing when you lose a big tree that has been an anchor to a landscaping theme for years and years.  However, it gives you an opportunity to try some of these new and unusual trees that have some great features.  e.g. We love our Thornless Hawthorne; recent additions of a Pagoda dogwood and a Sargent Crab; a Tina Crab that my wife still does not believe was her mother's day present from three years ago (imagine... she thinks I bought it for myself);  the Heritage River Birch (birch borer resistance is high) has grown nicely over the past 10 years.  Last year I planted three Tri-Colored Beeches, a Crimson Frosh Birch, a Trost's Dwarf Birch and aYoung's Weeping Birch (I'm obviously a big fan of birches, beeches, and of TREES!).  I would love to plant a copper beech, but one needs a lot of space for such a tree.

The vast majority of our back yard is shaded by one walnut and one large tulip tree, both of which we would miss greatly if they were gone.  Both of these monsters are actually on the neighbor's lot and last year they took a couple of big limbs off of the south side of the tree, to let in more sun for their beautiful vegetable garden (and it is beautiful)  Unfortunately, MY beautiful garden in for Hostas and we kind of needed the shade. :-( Unfortunately, the tree also needed those limbs to stand straight and be strong.  Since that time, the tree has listed a foot or two to the north.  I'm afraid that within five years, one big wind storm and that tree is history.   Hopefully, some of your other newer shade trees won't be taken down as this one falls.

BTW, if you don't have their catalog, I recommend taking a look at the selection from Forest Farm (Oregon), if you have the time to let young trees grow.  They have an awesome selection but for most areas of the country, obviously, they are mail order only.   They do ship 5-6 year old trees that are in 5-gallon containers.   They list a web site as www.forestfarm.com.

As for a list of the 50-60' tall ones, what a fun hunt you could have.  Here are a few thoughts, but you'll have to check out height details and more:
1) American Beech - attracts squirrels, however.
2) European Beech
3) Columnar Purple Beech
4) Autumn Purple Ash
5) Patmore Ash (minimal mess)
6) Kentucky Coffee Tree

And, of course, there are a gazillion Oaks that would be beautiful but be very slow growers (would a Live Oak work in your neck of the woods?).  Remember, however, that most Maples won't be a good replacement tree near a Hosta bed, even though they can be beautiful in the fall.

And as we all know, once upon a time, an American Elm would have filled the bill nicely.  I don't know if a hybrid is being offered that would be similar, but if the dutch elm disease can be held in check, the elm is an wonderful and tall tree.

Hope you'll have fun in your quest, ShayDGuy.   We've planted 15 trees on our city lot in as many years and the only thing that is more fun than going out shopping for a tree is going out shopping for Hostas--at least of those things that you do fully clothed...  :-)

Hosta la Vista! :-)

--
Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com