Re: lutescence and viridescent

Hi Jim,
      The basic definitions given by Pat (and George Schmid) explain the terms. When it comes to gold and partly gold hostas we see one of these phenomena. The tissue will become more or less green as the season progresses. Some change dramatically, and others only a little, but they all change color one way or the other. If the conditions stay the same this should be a steady, gradual change. Other things, especially sunlight, affect the color as well and must be taken into account, but golds fall into one category or the other. It is my thinking that lutescence is a sieboldiana/tokudama trait that does not come from any other species. Most if not all species produce gold seedlings and all the ones I've grown from other species were viridescent. When it comes to hybrids, I would say that only hybrids with sieboldiana/tokudama in their parentage will show lutescence. If both types result from a specific cross, the lutescent ones usually outnumber the viridescent ones.
       You can tell very early which a seedling is by comparing the first or second leaves to the later ones. If the new ones are brighter yellow, than it is viridescent. If the newer ones are greener, it's lutescent. This becomes less obvious the more fertilizer you use, as nitrogen makes them all get a lot greener.
       Has anybody found anything different to be the case?
                                                                          ........Bill Meyer

     Would any of you fine Ladies and Gentlemen go into some detail in
explaining lutescence and viridescent quality in leaf color.

                                                                    Jim Towle