Re: Korean Snow

Thanks for that Chick.  How quickly did the misting show up?
----- Original Message -----
From: Chick
Sent: 04 April 2001 13:33
Subject: Re: Korean Snow

I didn't make many crosses with the plant last year but I got a reasonable percentage of streaked and misted plants.

Ian Chrystal wrote:

Does anyone out there have any experience of breeding with Korean Snow? I was talking with Mike Shadrack, and discovered that both of us have used it as a pod parent, and neither of us have any obviously streaked seedlings to show for our efforts.  Mine were sown in mid-January, and there was reasonable germination, and the seedlings are now at the two leaf stage under 24 hr. lights. It occurred to me that:- a)  the potentially streaked seed might have a shorter viability. b)  the variegation might not as yet be evident, being of a misty nature. My pollen parents include a late flowering Dorothy Benedict.  The seed was frozen during the interval between collection and sowing Mike also commented that he had poor results generally this season for streaked seedlings, including normally successful breeders like Christmas Tree Gala.  My results have also been below average with the notable exception of a streaked nigrescens elatior, which has produced an above average percentage of variegated offspring. Ian Chrystal ichrystal@hosta-holic.freeserve.co.uk