Re: top dressing Hosta

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the indepth answer.  I'll have to rethink some of my
gardening habits I guess.  The mulch isn't really mulch per se... it's
really there to build up our horrible soil with organic matter in the
form of manure, etc.

I use a thinnish dressing of shredded wood bark during the summer,
perhaps an inch or so, but by fall it's mostly disappeared into the
ground.  Our soil is awful - way too sandy and the water just runs right
through it, leaching out any nutrients at the same time.  Plus there is
a huge greedy maple tree with roots that go on forever.

We can start a new bed by adding a third or more of organic matter, but
after a couple of years all that's left is sand again.

Well, I'll just have to get out there and make sure they haven't been
buried too deeply.  Many of them went in pot and all, so it shouldn't be
too difficult to haul them out again :-)

Thanks!

Helen