Re: rebloom

Hi Jim,
         One thing I can say about this statement is that the division does
have the potential to bloom again. Each of the leaf axil buds contains a
floral meristem at its center, and these can bloom at the same time or
later. Thus one division can put up numerous scapes. I have seen this only a
few times, and I think in each case the extra scapes were much smaller and
bloomed at the same time or shortly after the main scape. I think Ran
mentioned this in an earlier post, and I think there was a picture in the
Journal a few years ago of a division doing this. While so far this has been
a one-time-only event, who can say that a seedling can't come along that has
a stronger tendency to do this every year? Ran has a breeding line in which
fasciated scapes have become the norm, so if a line of plants come from that
then twenty years from now people will look back on the days when everybody
thought that was impossible.

..........Bill Meyer