Apples and Bananas

Robin Sports Readers,

Although you as a reader of the recent discussions on the Origin of
Sports  during the last 4-5 weeks,   wonder why there still appears to
be conflicts,  misunderstandings or non-acceptance of the conventional
wisdom which has been around here for about 20 years, but only recently
discussed in detail. My assessment is that the case for explaining the
conventional wisdom has resulted in a dispute about apples and bananas.
The conflict is about:

   A. What are the generalizations  regarding maternal inheritance of
variegation, based upon chloroplast mutants and related plastid
sorting-out mechanisms in hostas?( note:A stands for Apples)

   B. What are the two exceptions to these generalizations according to
Vaughn  concerning maternal inheritance of variegation in hostas?(note:
B stands for Bananas)

I and others have been discussing A most of the time,  while Andrew and
another apparently wants to discuss only B.  At least this is how I have
understood the mistaken notions inherent in the tone and substance of
the current Pollen Parent discussions of today. Do others read the
situation as I do?

Jim Hawes