Re: Gardenweb web site (Winning)

Hello Bill

Somehow we've jumped from Spike being (in Andrew's opinion) the 'best at
what you do', to dominating plant societies... No one said you have to
'beat people' - My point regarding Spike and the Gardenweb is this -  He
is very successful with it.  Just because the man chooses to remove or
bar disruptive influences does not make him a bad person and whoever
doesn't like his style can of course post here instead. :-)  Only one
very small porion of Andrew's post was singled out and taken, out of
context.  Andrew stated basicly that winning is about being the best at
what you do.

If we are not to strive to be the best, then what do we look for?  Do we
sit back and congratulate ourselves on our complacency?  Do we decide
that how we are is good enough?  Or perhaps we are so convinced of our
moral superiority already, we don't have to try anymore because we are
already so perfect?

My point is not that one needs to 'compete against' or 'beat down'
others - my point is one should strive to be the best one can whatever
that is.  Without competition, even against oneself, without motivation
of some sort - whether it is accolades from ones colleagues, a pat on
the back, monetary gain, breeding a beautiful new plant, whatever the
'reward' happens to be - it is what makes the world go round.

>        We're here to talk about hosta, not play "King-of-the-Hill".

Exactly! I couldn't agree with you more!

> The people in the forum are friends, not enemies.

You could have fooled me on this one!

Helen