Morality Play

Jim Traveler Towle,

I am delighted that you have become fully engaged in the morality play
skimming across our monitor screens in hosta-open. Knowing that you were
a Ranger in Vietnam, makes me double proud to know you, even though we
have not met. I'm sure there were other men just like you there...strong
, young, intelligent,  carrying on in the morality play underway  there
where some  in power were trying to take over from weaker people. We
supported the weaker side without complete committment in this
political/military struggle and we didn't win. There were many involved
who paid a high price personally. . I know, I was there for ten years
myself.

Now were are in a different scene, in act 2 or 3 in another morality
play.We are older and more intelligent and can make better choices
because of the things we learned.throiugh experience. We have chosen to
grow hostas in peace and freedom in our own country. But we find that a
morality play of sorts is heating up even here in our gardening
community. Our population has grown larger, we are more modern, many of
our values have changed, we have more gadgets and we are more affluent.
But the people are the same the world over and throughout time.

There are the Givers and there are the Takers. Those who have acquired
power, influence and authority and have become decisionmakers,
controllers and policy makers want even more power from others. This
control and power  makes them feel good and that is why they want more.
Those of us who are aware of this accept the givens  for a while perhaps
but then our patience accepts no more.  We learn soon who the givers and
the takers are. and we support those who appear to be most like
ourselves.
The good guys vs the bad guys just like in the movies. The karmic
choices we make will determine the karmic happiness that  will accrue,
if not now, then later.. Remember the lesson we learned when we were
small..."Whatsoever a man soweth, etc." Everyone certainly by this time
has learned that in the movies the good guy wins the girl and the bad
guy leaves  town .But some of us are slow learners, it seems.

The Spikes, the Hitlers in Drag  and the Zonnies will always be with us.
Those of us who love freedom and truth must do what is necessary to
modify our give/take environment so that it is more in balance.
 So if you can't and won't take it any more, I will support someone like
you  with the courage to stick your  head out the window and say so as
eloquently as you have done.

Jim Hawes