Re: Banyai's Dancing Girl

The name game on Banyai's Dancing Girl.

My mother Pauline came from a family of 8 girls and 2 boys, she being the oldest and required to take care of her siblings while working and going to school!!

My mom and dad had 5 sons ( one died at birth ) and she was forever wishing she had a daughter. Not to be. My dad and mom always talked about their little Banyai ballerina that would come later ( as a grandbaby ).

One of her early vigorous blue-green hosta seedlings formed such a pretty clump that she decided to name it Ballerina. But when she submitted the registration paperwork alas she was too late - it had been taken just a few months earlier.

In utter frustration she called me on the phone and said "If I can't have a ballerina I am going to have a Banyai's Dancing Girl"  ballerina = dancing girl in her mind.

I said "think about it - we have only boys in the family and you would be the only Banyai Dancing Girl - is that what you want"? By then she was tired of the name game and put it through - only to run afoul of those who wouldn't let us have the ' in the name, trying to label it as Banyais Dancing Girl. Then she really got hot and said "It is BANYAI'S Dancing Girl get it right" And so it is.

A side note - once we had a row of Blue Boy and Blue Cadet that got mixed up - took a while to separate them. We laughed when we looked at how superior BDG was, as we referred to her plant. No mistaking its growth pattern - vigorous.

When she died and the Michigan Hosta Society offered to put a memorial garden at Hidden Lakes, it was easy to nominate Gold Standard and BDG for the plantings. The last time I checked, two years ago at the AHS National Convention, it was splendid.