Re: Hosta Experiment

Hi Barbara,
       If you want to start hostas indoors in winter, I can offer a few
guidelines. First, make sure the plant has been dormant long enough. Six
weeks is plenty. Second, make sure outdoor pots have some way of draining
off that excess water that was standing in yours. Third, once you bring them
in grow them on the dry side, don't leave them wet. This will encourage rot.
Fourth, keep them as cool as you can---say under 60 days and 45 or so
nights. If possible, put them outside if the temps are reasonable, but bring
them in if you are expecting frost. Give them as much sun as possible. The
closer you stay to these guidelines, the better off the plants will be.
Especially be careful about keeping them too warm and too wet, as this can
prove fatal with some cultivars.

.....Bill Meyer