Re: Banyai's Dancing Girl

Such wonderful memories.  Thank you Bruce.
Sam I Am

> The name game on Banyai's Dancing Girl.
> My mother Pauline came from a family of 8 girls and 2 boys, she being the
oldest and required to take care of her siblings while working and going to
> My mom and dad had 5 sons ( one died at birth ) and she was forever
wishing she had a daughter. Not to be. My dad and mom always talked about
their little Banyai ballerina that would come later ( as a grandbaby ).
> One of her early vigorous blue-green hosta seedlings formed such a pretty
clump that she decided to name it Ballerina. But when she submitted the
registration paperwork alas she was too late - it had been taken just a few
months earlier.
> In utter frustration she called me on the phone and said "If I can't have
a ballerina I am going to have a Banyai's Dancing Girl"  ballerina = dancing
girl in her mind.
> I said "think about it - we have only boys in the family and you would be
the only Banyai Dancing Girl - is that what you want"? By then she was tired
of the name game and put it through - only to run afoul of those who
wouldn't let us have the ' in the name, trying to label it as Banyais
Dancing Girl. Then she really got hot and said "It is BANYAI'S Dancing Girl
get it right" And so it is.
> A side note - once we had a row of Blue Boy and Blue Cadet that got mixed
up - took a while to separate them. We laughed when we looked at how
superior BDG was, as we referred to her plant. No mistaking its growth
pattern - vigorous.
> When she died and the Michigan Hosta Society offered to put a memorial
garden at Hidden Lakes, it was easy to nominate Gold Standard and BDG for
the plantings. The last time I checked, two years ago at the AHS National
Convention, it was splendid.