Re: Seedling growth (Mike Groothuis)

Hi Mike,
        Almost forgot about this one. Let's start with some questions. How
many hours per day do you leave the lights on? How far away from the light
tubes are they? 40w tubes? How about fertilizer? When do you move them from
the flats into cells? What size cells? Do you move them into larger cells
later? Have they dried out at any time, enough that they wilted?
        Flowering early has a lot to do with species background. Laevigata
and yingeri seedlings flower earliest and most reliably. Most seedlings with
different backgrounds will do it occasionally. Usually flowering the first
year slows down the growth of the seedling, so it's only a good thing if you
want to squeeze in another generation of crosses. It may well take another
year or two before it matures.

.....Bill Meyer