Re: From: "Diann Barbee Thoma"

     Good evening, or morning I guess (depends on perspective) Ms. D.B.
Thoma. Inspirational postings, these are, Yup. Your story about the good DR.
brought me back to a place and memory that warrants sharing.

     At the peak of a moving portion of a motivational healing type
presentation an intimate friend of mine would literally throw his hands into
the air and loudly proclaim, no mas, no mas.(sp) No more, no more, he would
say, I have had it!  I refuse to allow my life experience to own me. I am
more than what I do or where I have been. I am more aware, than the sum of my
knowledge and experience. I am more important to myself than to anyone else.
I am, .......he would say hesitating, as he lowered his voice to just above a
whisper...I am, one of the nicest people I have ever met. He would then go on
and self disclose his own journey of fear, pain and suicidality and near self
destruction.
     He was talking to a uniquely aware audience. A workshop of sorts. The
group was made up of victims of multiple extreme traumas. Firemen, policemen
and emergency medical professionals who had fallen victim to their
profession. Individuals, male and female who were diagnosed with Post
Traumatic Stress Disorder and were no longer able to perform the work they
had trained for years to do. They had witnessed so much death and carnage
that they were not able to function as before and were attempting to heal and
move on in their lives.
     They were being taught >>>>this method of mitigating personality or
situational emotional states(D.B.Thoma)<<<< by an individual that was totally
immersed in his own recovery from similar traumas in his life experience. He>>
>>--had no yearning for fame or fortune. In fact, he found these healing
powers through intuition(D.B.Thoma) <<<< and his own difficult recovery
process. He knew that his recovery would be life long, with no respite. He
knew that it would be a daily struggle to learn "not to struggle." He knew
that the only way he could "win" was to give away his "winnings" He knew that
he had to give it away to keep it.
have to use. For him, he felt a calling, and he had the guts to follow it
through its fruition.  He had a vision based on a very gentle belief that
people would heal best if they felt good about themselves in the world (I
don't mean simple self-esteem...).  He decided healing could be gentle, and
he found out how.(D.B.Thoma) <<<<
     They won, because there are ordinary "extraordinary" people in this
world that are not in the least concerned about winning anything.

                                                Jim Towle......