Three layers in Hostas?

Joe and other inquiring minds,

You raised the question of how many layers exist in Hosta meristem We
...most of us, had assumed three but you wanted a more exact answer with
a specific reference. How about this one?

Kevin Vaughn
Variegation in Hosta
AHS Bulletin 11, 1979-80,
pg 33, para 4

" The tissues from  nearly all  of the higher plants are derived from 3
layers of cells which are present at the growing tip of the plant. In
Hosta, the  central  (LII) layer, or second layer forms the central area
of the leaf and the ovules"...................

So if LII is the second  or central layer, there must be a LIII or third
layer. I think there is no doubt according to Vaughn that Hosta has
three layers in the meristem. I hope that this erases all doubt.

Jim Hawes