Re: Three layers in Hostas?

>We have an upper epidermal and lower epidermal surface, and the cell
>structures in between that transmit water and nutrients Etc.  Hope I
>have that right.  Are you discussing that structure system

If you look at a plant's apex under a microscope you will see in most
dicots a cone like structure with a core and two cell layers on top of
that.  The top most layer is the L1 and forms the epidermis.  The
second layer forms the central leaf tissue and the ovaries and the L3
forms the roots and the pith of woody plants.  The debate right now is
if hostas have two or three histogenic layers since in monocots two
layered structures are more common then thre layered structurs.

Joe Halinar