Re: Cold nights

In a message dated Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:07:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Jean Carpenter" <backhoe@ipa.net> writes:

<< I didn't go out and cover anything and some got bit and some not.  Does anyone know if some hosta are more resistant to frost than others?  I have probably 50 or so in pots that were completely up and unfurled. Some of them got frost bit badly and ones sitting beside them didn't.  Some just had a few leaves damaged. >>

Interestingly, I had the same experience, but even stranger was the fact that on some hostas, for example H. 'Sagae' two out of 10 divisions were "freezer-burned" and they were on opposite sides of the hosta.

I was discussing this with Alex Summers last night and he suggested some things like length of time below freezing.  For example he thinks nothing in his garden was damaged, his low was 28F and he thinks he was at that temperature for less than 1 hour, whereas, my low was the same (28F) but according to the weather service charts we were at that temperature for 3 hours.

If people are interested in gathering some observational data, I would be willing to compile it in an Excel Spreadsheet.  If you could inventory the hostas that were effected by the cold, the lowest temperature achieved, the length of time below 32 degrees, the approximate locations of the hostas, e.g., East, North, South, or West exposures; the degree of canopy over the hostas (in percentage terms) and anything else you think might be pertinent in your case, e.g., proximity to the house, etc.  Even if you only have an inventory of what was damaged and do not have the other information it still may be useful in determining patterns.

Send me your horror stories and maybe we can learn something from this.