Cold (Squeezed By)

Kevin and others,
Here in Georgia just South of Atlanta we barely squeezed by any cold damage.
We had just folded up and put away all of the frost cloth last week. Not
wanting to get the stuff back out again I took a gamble. I have a high-low
thermometer with an alarm, so on Tues and Wed nights I set the alarm at 33
degrees before going to bed. On Wed. am I was awakened at about 4 am so I
got dressed and went to the nursery to turn the irrigation on. The temp
showed 32 degrees. I ran through each zone for a few minutes and then
repeated the same. There was a slight wind and who knows, everything would
have probably been alright. When I returned to the house the temp. was 32
and shortly after began rising.
On Thurs. am I was awakened at 5 am. I went through the same routine again.
The temp showed 32 degrees. There was a slight wind again this am. When I
returned to the house at 5:45 the temp. was 34 and rising.
I do believe a number of factors helped me out. First was the slight wind
keeping frost from settling. Also, the nursery is located on one side of a
ridge which has no frost pockets. And the short time period the temp. was at
or slightly below freezing. I really don't know if my efforts of turning on
irrigation helped but I had no damage. Thank the Lord.
Richard

Pine Forest Gardens Grower of Quality Hostas
On Line Catalog
http://pineforestgardens.com