Re: What Causes This??(tip dieback)

Hi Bevie,
        I've been growing seedlings for eight years now and for the first few I wondered about that too. The dieback of the tips of the leaves on seedlings happens every year here without fail. I've asked several hybridizers about it and it seems that everybody sees that in their seedlings. Nobody would venture a guess as to what the cause is, though. Every one agreed, and I do too, that it isn't anything to worry about and that they won't do that when they're grown.
        I'll take a shot as to what causes it, but this is only a guess. When you transplant them next, look at how much difference there is in the root systems. Some will have a lot of roots, some hardly any. I think the tip dieback may be caused by top growth developing faster than the roots can keep up with. Even if a plant seems to have plenty of roots, they may not be very efficient. If there is more leaf than the roots can supply, something has to go. One of two things would happen then--- either the oldest leaves would die or a part of all the leaves would.
        I'd be more concerned about spots as these may be a sign of insects or disease. I think that disease resistance among seedlings varies considerably, and when one has a problem and its neighbors don't have it, then that seedling may just have poor resistance. If this is true, then it probably won't do very well outside in the ground. If you have any that show spots, why not mark them and watch how they do later in the ground. If they continue to show disease problems for several years, they probably aren't worth saving.
       Is there anybody growing seedlings that doesn't see tip dieback? Has anyone cleaned up disease in a seedling then watched it to see if it had problems again later?
                                                                                         ........Bill Meyer

I have been growing my seedlings since January...some of them are now
getting these dried ends or spots on their leaves...what causes this?  I am
only watering from the bottom...and I know they haven't dried out because I
check them every day...I have already cut off many of the really bad looking
leaves but decided to post this photo to see if anyone would be able to help
me figure out what is going on here (others looked worse than these)...is
this a disease or sickness?  Am I over watering?  I used fish emulsion as
fertilizer for the first3 months...but just switched to miracle grow this
week....they had this problem before I switched...I was using about 1/2 to 1
tsp of fish E. per 2 gallons of water and am using 1/5th tsp of miracle grow
(muracid) per 2 gallons of water...didn't use it ever time I watered...only
when I thought of it...oh I also mixed in a tiny bit of alfalfa meal in the
potting soil of each plants pot before transplanting...but it wasn't
alot..maybe at the most 3/4 tsp to each 4" pot...initial pots were sterile
solo drinking cups...these pots were washed with soapy water with bleach
added and then rinsed & dried before using....potting soil is "Sunshine All
Purpose Growing Mix"...it is not a heavy potting mix..comes in 50 dry quarts
bags...any help, suggestions or tips on what this could be would be
appreciated...Thanks...Bevie