Re: What looks better than a hosta?

  • Subject: Re: What looks better than a hosta?
  • From: "Sam" <samk52@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:09:14 -0700

Harry, did you have to do anything special to grow hosta in with the bamboo?
I tried a couple of years ago, planted some in with nuda, but the hosta did come
back the next year.
I hope you will be posting pix of these soon.
Sam I Am

another is the rich deep blue of abiqua drinking gourd as it  struggles for
prominence with the black mottled canes of nigra bamboo (phyllostachys nigra)
i also have another a. drinking gourd with a huge green dissectum maple
"accidently" planted on top of it.  nice subtle contrast in textures, colors,
and visual weight.
also, h. 'uguis', though unpronounceable, looks tremendous with the red lacy
textured foliage of a. 'crimson queen' (jap maple).  this unusal color needs
to be added to more locations to play with i think.
the black mondo(kewl next to uguis i bet??) (ophiopogon arabicus 'ebony
knight')next to and mingled with the 'powis castle' artemesia is a bold combo
in my black and silver mailbox garden.  (bet some of the tall purple
phormiums would be hot providing a tall lance thru the lacy foliage, too.)
there are some of 'jane bath's "pinks" in that bed too, the blue foliage
mixes well (blue is close to silver), as well as a few blue sedum.  maybe its
my black and blue garden??  (and silver??)
the tall german beardeds (iris) opened today for me, mine are 2 tone purples,
and dark blues, Lu's are a pale yellow.
my white iris tectorum are in full bloom, and the blue tect's are just
starting .  they look incredible planted in proximity with the dark gray lava
rock i love to carve into basins and lanterns.
the 'sensitive fern' is devouring my side berm.  nuthin sensitive about it.
anybody want roots??
come pull weeds, and dig red jap maples too!!!!
o ya, and also at Lu's -the 'forest pansy' redbud
ohhhhh my !!!  the flowers are and have been gone, but that foliage color.
petition her to send pix.  smile.
y'all take care.

nawuth of the chattahoochie
nawuth jawuhja

 Harry Abel
 we do not create the beauty, we only point out the beauty God has created
        hand carved stone water basins            traditional bamboo water
garden accessories
        japanese maples         dwarf bamboos                hosta bonsai
salm 150