Re: Silver Maple

  • Subject: Re: Silver Maple
  • From: Ray W <wie1086@oh.verio.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:15:43 -0400

Rich,

I agree completely about the extent of the feeder roots. From my experience, it
is the hair roots that encroach upon the crown of a hosta with a strangling
choke hold. I terraced a portion of my property around the maple. In the
spring, I can "peel"  the whole surface (would anybody like a demonstration)
before the leaves start to open. The sad part is a maple can replace whatever
is removed 3 times over per season.

Ray