Re: [hostapix] Tobacco rattle virus

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] Tobacco rattle virus
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:34:43 -0400

Hi Ran,
       The way I understand it tobacco rattle virus is hosted by soil nematodes. This means that removing and destroying the plant doesn't solve the problem, because the virus is still present in the soil it was removed from. It can also spread very easily by contact with other plants. Tobacco rattle virus is a serious threat to a garden, and no plant showing symptoms should ever be brought into one. If it turns up, get rid of the plant immediately, sterilize the soil it was in, don't plant anything there for a year or better yet two years, and clean your hands thoroughly before touching any other plants. I don't think there is any cure for it. Nematicides would be a good idea, but they are not easy to get ahold of.
                                                                          ......Bill Meyer

Andrew
You are confusing me a little here.  While there could be , I suppose, a link between viris incidents, and Nemotode infestations, I was not aware that it had been researched.  Once a hosta has viris symptoms in evidence, getting rid of any nemotodes would not change that part of the problem.  Can you clarify your thinking for me.
Many Thanks
Ran

skaggs wrote:
 Tobacco rattle virus.....
One the better reasons to grow plants in containers.  Nematodes don't seem to do well in a soiless mix.   Last year was particularly GOOD for nematodes and this may translate to more frequent appearances of viral infections.  Does Dr. Lockhart have a recommended cure?  Wonder if you cut it way back, stuck it in a container and treated it with a nematicide if this would have any positive impact on the plant?