Master Gardener

  • Subject: Master Gardener
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:43:39 -0500 (EST)

Would be interested in other peoples' experiences in the Master Gardener
Program. Am about 1/2 through. I know the programs vary from region to
region and zone to zone. I am taking the program in an interactive TV set
up at a local school. There are 10 different sites and most of our teachers
are involved with our state university. Live questions are possible, but
difficult because of the 230 different students.But of course questions can
be called or, or e-mail is an easy possibility.  I certainly have no
complaints about most of the material we are covering, but find myself
wishing more time were spent on the material. I am adjusting slowly to the
live TV aspect, but reading some of the overhead projections on the screens
is difficult....and live microphones always make life interesting. Actually
I was thinking of the time that Henry Kissinger  was heard on a "dead"
michrophone  refering to President Nixon as oue meatball president...of
course G. Bush had his problems too.  But back to the point....if there was
one.

I am bothered by one cosmetic thing. The "MASTER" Gardner is a some what
pompous title. I expect that there might be one or two true master
gardeners in my course, but if one has the illusion that this course is
going to turn someone into a MASTER GARDENER then it's time for them to put
the airplane glue away. The course here in Vermont has a lot of laudable
volunteer stuff going on, and in some ways this seems to be its major goal.
I am benefiting, happy, and may need new glasses, but I would like to know
how this course functions elsewhere.

P.S. Strangely enough I have been the only one to mention hostas.

CHOWRIE: n.: a fly-swatter fashioned from a yak's tail.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156