Re: Master Gardener

  • Subject: Re: Master Gardener
  • From: "Ann James" <annfree@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:05:16 -0600

Hi, fellow gardeners.  I don't know if I'm doing this right or not, because
I hit reply to group and it shows two addresses up there.

However, I subscribed I guess last week sometime and haven't seen any
traffic actually about hostas.

Since we moved from sunny Houston to a heavily wooded area north of there, I
have been trying to work out a shade garden scheme.  Hostas were recommended
and I planted a number of them last year in the front shade bed.  They
flourished till the freezes began, but not one hosta has ventured out of the
ground yet.  This is Zone 8.  The azaleas have pretty much come and gone.
And still no signs of hosta life.

Do you suppose something ate them?  I have seen deer in the front yard and a
possum in the back yard, but no moles or voles or things that go
underground.  I know snails and slugs didn't get them because they went
dormant and while they were flourishing there were no signs of damage.

I have two hosta books, but neither says what sort of period of dormancy
hostas have.  I'd like someone to guess whether they are dead, gone, or only
sleeping.

Ann James
(NOT a master gardener)