Re: Master Gardener

  • Subject: Re: Master Gardener
  • From: Louanna Simmons <grnstuff@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:27:24 -0600

Glen:  I've been an Extension Master Gardener here in Johnson County KS for 15 years, the past 5 of them as emerita mainly because of non-gardening family obligations.  I cannot express too strongly my great enthusiasm for the EMG program, for what it does for our greater-Kansas City metro area through volunteer activities and for what I have gained from it!  I joined thinking I'd get some tips and learn some basic rules along the way (already an "experienced" gardener or so I thought) but what I got was Fourth-of-July fireworks with Roman candles.  Wow!
     You're in the dull-but-necessary part just now, and while asking questions would be nice (my classes were live, so I can't really compare notes with your experience), you'll no doubt have access to the info, and the people who have the answers, when classes are over and your volunteer service begins.
     I could write a book, but will try to be brief: the EMG program in my county, which started in 1980, now has well over 200 active members, is unlike any "garden club" around in that there are no cliques--we're just all involved in learning that never ends, committees and areas of service that meet our present interests and are broad enough, open and inclusive enough, to draw us into new areas that broaden our scope of knowledge, and add new friendships.  There is truly something for any and everyone--herbs, perennials, woodies, annuals, bulbs, butterfly gardening, speakers bureau, planting at a nursing home, learning plant photography, answering the thousands of questions that come in to gardeners' hotline, a biennial garden tour, sick plant clinics, etc.etc.....It's almost a way of life!
     On my side of the state line alone, at least 25 Master Gardeners are also members of our 200-plus member Heartland Hosta & Shade Plant Society, to the benefit and betterment of both groups.  Stick with it, it'll "grow" on you!
     HOSTAlly,  Louanna Simmons