Re: Master Gardener

Hi, Glen. The program here in central Illinois is great. I'm not a great letter writer so I hesitated to post to the entire group since I seldom post anyway, mostly lurk. Taking the course last year after I took early retirement was one of the best things that I've done for myself.
<<The "MASTER" Gardner is a some what pompous title.>> Yes, it is and there are a few in our entire group that seem to feel that they're entitled to this title. Most of the group are not at all like that.
There were two reasons that I personally took the course. The first was a love of gardening. I'd been doing it for thirty plus years and ... although I'd learned a lot over the years through trial and error ..... wanted to learn more.  Taking the course helped me acquire some tools that I hadn't had before. Never have I been more aware of my limited amount of knowledge concerning gardening. But now I know how to find out ... who to go to or where to look to find ... the answers to the questions that I have. This group (the hosta crowd) is a great resource.
The second reason for taking the course was to meet people with a common interest. That has been a success beyond my highest expectations.
<<I know I shouldn't say this, but most of the people who come in here primarily
to give me unsolicited advice and to convince me that they know how to run my
nursery better than I do usually start by telling me that they are master
And just why, Chick, should you not say this? When I read your post I had to chuckle because several people's names immediately popped into my head. I could just see them doing this. Those are the ones that many of us avoid like the plague. Now, if your eyes aren't glazed over, I'll say good night. I love the program ..... just not all of the people. :-)