Re: Goddess of Athena post

  • Subject: Re: Goddess of Athena post
  • From: james hawes <jamesh@gcnetmail.net>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 08:53:43 -0500

Hosta Friends,

About a week or so ago, someone wrote a post describing his variegated
seedlings of Goddess of Athena. He asked for help in explaining the
mechanisms involved in growth and origin of such seedlings.Since no one
has responded to his inquiry, I thought I would suggest a source of
information. Unfortunately I deleted this specific post and am not able
to retrieve it. I will try to respond without this specific reference.

 Both vareigated seedlings and sports are controlled by specific
mechanisms which have been described many times in hosta-open  posts
over time. It is unfortunate that this person is not familiar with the
comprehensive discussion which took place in February and March of 2001.
More than 50 people were involved in this discussion on Origin of Sports
which produced more than 300 pages of discussion text. The processes
responsible for variegation in seedlings and chimeral sports in hostas
are similar or identical. I refer the inquirer to the two posts
prepared summarizing the discussion.

These two posts were combined into one summary which was prepared for
publication in the Fall Edition of the Hosta Journal. Unfortunately,
this potential article was not included in the Fall Edition for reasons
not explained. I suggest that  former Editor Walek might be able to
enlighten us on the status of this article. If it is to be included in
a  future edition, it is worth the wait to study this summary of the
discussion in order to become knowledgeable of the complex processes and
mechanisms involved in growth and development  of chimeras and other
types of sports and variegated seedlings in hostas. If publication is
not anticipated, then other media  need to be sought to widely
disseminate this important information. I wonder what are the opinions
of others on this matter?

Respectfully,

Jim Hawes