Re: ATTENTION: W. GEORGE SCHMID, HISTORIAN Origin of the "Ellerbroek" Hosta

  • Subject: Re: ATTENTION: W. GEORGE SCHMID, HISTORIAN Origin of the "Ellerbroek" Hosta
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 08:53:47 -0400

Hi Kevin,

I do not know who wanted to know so I am redirecting this to the robins.

Paul N. Ellerbroek (often spelled incorrectly "Ellerbrook") was a charter member of TAHS. He was listed in the first (March 1969) issue of THJ, then called the Bulletin of the American Hosta Society. His address was listed as Ashworth Road, Route 1, West Des Moines, Iowa.

Paul had a large hosta collection (for its time) and corresponded with many of the early hosta aficionados. He and Gus Krossa, another Hosta pioneer, exchanged plants. Paul is considered to be the first in North America to import H. 'Fortunei Aureomarginata' in 1967. The hosta cultivar came from Dr. Hensen in the Netherlands. More on Dr. Hensen in my book, page 349. This hosta was named for him H. 'Ellerbroek' because the Krossa designation "L-7" was not liked by nursery folks (Gus Krossa had this same plant on his list as "Krossa L-7"). Eventually on October 17, 1969, Alex Summers obtained this hosta from Ellerbroek and listed it in one of his 1970 acquisition list.

H. 'Fortunei Aureomarginata' (named 1963) is currently the correct name (synonym) for H. 'Ellerbroek' (named around 1967) because Hensen named it such before the latter name was given. I dealt with multiple names (including H. 'Ellerbroek') in an article published in THJ, Vol. 18, No. 2 (Fall 1987) on page 48.

W. George S