Re: storing pollen

  • Subject: Re: storing pollen
  • From: "Hank Zumach" <zumach@execpc.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:08:24 -0500

HI Bill--Thanks for the information.

Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI
----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Nash
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 8:46 PM

Hank Zumach..empty plastic film cartridge containers; (which can be had free from any film developing shop?) -- are quite handy: to store pollen (and hosta seeds also?) -- inside the FREEZER.

I generally take the foil out of my cigarette package, and wrap the pollen-sacs inside the shiny side, fold it up and slip it inside a film cartridge; label it and then pop it into the freezer compartment of my spare beer fridge in the garage.  Non smokers can use aluminum foil, or any clean & sterile wrapper?  RE: POLLINATION VIA BRUSH, I use a #1 through #3 paint brush, which picks up the pollen nicely from the foil when needed.  I use the cheapest brushes, which are not camel's hair, simply because the static electricity on the plastic brush & hairs, when working with this kind of brush, tends to attract pollen to it's hairs, via some kind of magnetism.

I don't know the pollen viability factor related to freezer storage time, which pollen will keep for and still be good?  HOWEVER, hosta-seeds on the other hand, stored in an air-tight-container, will keep germination in tact for 20 years.  The oldest hosta seed I have is dated 1995, and it is still showing good germination, stored frozen since then, inside preserving jars.

hope this helps

"Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada Zone 4" <raffi2sympatico.ca>