Newbie question

  • Subject: Newbie question
  • From: "Sandy Houck" <shouck@dmcom.net>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:44:15 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hello everyone,
I was wondering when hostas ususally break ground in the spring. I am in zone 4 and the daylilies have about 1-2" of growth now. The only hostas showing are H. undulata medio variegata (?) and about half of them have about 1/2" inch of growth the rest also aren't showing yet. I'm seeing a lot of tunneling around the hostas. Not good I'm thinking. I just planted the hostas last summer so I am not sure when they should be breaking ground. Even two plants of H. montana aureo-marginata aren't showing yet and I thought that was an early riser. Any comments?