Re: Newbie question

  • Subject: Re: Newbie question
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:23:20 -0400 (EDT)

>Hello everyone,
>
>I was wondering when hostas ususally break ground in the spring. I am in
>zone 4

Sandy,

  This is a great universal question, especially for a newbie.  I am zone 5
in Vermont and nothing will be out of the ground at all before the first
week in MAy,,and some years not unitl the middle. If you have purchased H.
'On Stage' don't hold your breath. This is one of a number of hostas which
are glacial. A good frined in Tenn has had them up for weeks. There are a
lot of variables.  In your own gardens you will have micro climates. I have
hostas under some large blue spruce where the ground remains cold for a
long time. Other areas in nearly full sun will respond accordingly. If you
have purchased expensive hostas or hostas that you really love...these will
come up last.....and sometimes not at all. The more you watch for them, and
the more you feel around inthe ground and break off pips, the more slowly
they will come. This is one of the few absolutes about raising hostas. But
I am not sure how one can resist looking every day just to see if....  Good
Luck Glen W.

"Get even, do good deeds.".
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.