Bob wrote:

> Ann James wrote:
> > Also, is diatomaceous earth a good defense against chewing insects?  I
> > really don't want to use a poison.  I would rather just toss the one hosta
> > that gets eaten.
> Hi Ann
>         You can always lay boards down and kill the slugs you find under them
> in the mornings, if you do that long enough you will see less slugs.
> Also try to find toads.

Hi All,

One of the ladies that works at Wade & Gatton said she is having great success at
slug control (at her home) with the following solution.

1 gallon water
1 cup ammonia
a few drops dish soap

Spray the foliage and saturate around the crowns. She said when the
slugs are bad she treats once a week. When things aren't too bad, then
about once every two weeks. She said this is also a great fertilizer.

P.S. Ann - Wade & Gatton is a nursery/landscape company in Ohio which also has a
Hosta and Daylily division. They have beautiful Hosta display gardens. Van Wade
also does some Hosta hybridizing.