Re: [hostapix] trifluralin?

  • Subject: Re: [hostapix] trifluralin?
  • From: CBCTPLANT@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:24:26 EDT

This is NOT a scientific response to the Preen question...

I have been told that Preen works by burning the shallow roots of new seedling weeds.  It worked AMAZINGLY well on a bed that was new last year with coal black dirt that was in a totally sunny location where weeds normally thrive.  Not a weed was seen all last season or even this spring.  It is incredible stuff!

It only affects the top 1/4 of an inch of soil, is my understanding, where the weed seeds are.  I was careful not to put it near a cute tiny shallow rooted sedum that was there.

For the newbie I would say to use it around old deeply rooted clumps, not around minis or near any roots that have crept to the top of the soil.

That's my 2 cents worth!
cb   In CT where it is supposed to break temp records tomorrow and be 90*!  Eeeeek!

Carol in CT   z6/5
AHS Eastern Region
July 6, 2002   Parsippany, NJ