Re: [hostapix] trifluralin?

Larry McLain wrote:

 John, I am curious. Do you apply the 10-10-10 before the eyes unfurl, or after?
Try to do it before, but after works just as well. I always worry about it getting lodged in a partially unfurled leaf, but I haven't noticed any problems with that.

For a really large clume like 'Blue Angel', I use about two small handsfull. For the tinest hostas I use about 1tablespoon per plant. After applying the fertilizer I always scratch it in, and mix with surface soil. I have never used the other chemicals you mentioned.
 Good luck,
John Lanier

Also, how much do you apply to each hosta? Do you also apply bonemeal, epsom salt, or anything else, at this time? Thanks, Larry

PS: If anyone else would also like to respond, that would be great!

  John Lanier <jlanier@yancey.main.nc.us> wrote:

Thanks to Dan Nelson I have absolutely no weeds of any kind in about 2
acres of hosta beds! Dan recommended spraying hosta beds in November
with a mixture of Round-Up and Surflan; no harm done to the hostas at
all. It's such a wonderful sight to see weed free beds. Clia the Border
Collie continues to do her job well on keeping the deer away. This year
is shaping up to be a spectacular year for hostas with respect to
freezes. We have only one more area to fertilize (10-10-10). It's cheap
and does a wonderful job. I got this bit of information from the late
great Bob Savory of Minnesota.

--
MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier